7 Steps for a happier you this Valentine's Day!
Valentine’s Day is here, and many people are still wondering what the hype and hoopla is all about.If you think Valentine’s Day is largely associated with teenagers, think again! We have 7 ways for you to think outside the chocolate box and show a little love to the most important person in your life- YOU! The most important part of this exercise is that you make it last long past when the red-and-white heart decorations have been packed away.
- Think about your daily life- Evaluate what really makes you feel good. Instead of forcing yourself into things that you don’t really enjoy, do more of the things that make you feel good. If you don’t enjoy your job, work out on an exit plan. There is no reason why you should continue to force yourself into the things that don’t make you happy.
- Cut your To –Do List by half-Look at your to-do list, is it pages long? Does it make you feel good or you constantly lose your cool over it? Take a long, hard look at your list,fold it into half. and then tear the list at the middle line. Prioritise one half and then prirotise other, pare it down by 50%. Focus only on have-tos and want-tos instead of things you have on there just because you should. When your list feels manageable, you’ll feel more energized to tackle it.
- Pampering is part of your routine- Pamper yourself on a regular basis. Your Hair appointment, mani,pedi are not a luxury, they are a necessity! There is nothing wrong with taking the time to take care of yourself on a regular basis, whether that means a bi-monthly massage appointment or working in the time for a long, hot bubble bath several nights a week. Feeling good shouldn’t be a “treat”—it should be a part of your everyday life.
- Weed out people- Too often, we get ourselves tangled into people and their lives which are not really contributing anything enriching to our own life.Distance those obnoxious influences who make you feel bad, even if its family. If you can’t, teach yourself ways in which you would avoid getting affected with what they say or do.Toxic relationships can be a huge barrier to your happiness Do yourself a favor and start investing your time with the people who make you feel good and make your life better.
- Raise your voice, and be confident about it- You have really worked hard like every other person. You are experienced and have your own qualities that stand you apart from others.When you aren’t true to yourself and your opinions, it feels bad. You feel disingenuous and dishonest. It is perfectly okay to have your own opinions—in fact, that’s what makes each of us so great! The best thing you can do for yourself is to own those opinions proudly. They may not always be popular, but they are a part of who you are—and those in your life who love and respect you will be okay with that.
- Be your own Queen- If you are constantly letting others in your life make the decisions, its time to stop. Quit deferring to others to make them happy. Stand up for the things you want and speak up for yourself. Tonight , you decide whats cooking for dinner.Watch the movie that you want to watch.It is great to compromise some of the time, but when you are constantly putting your own wants and needs aside for the sake of others, you will be unhappy and dissatisfied in the long run.Learn a new skill, join a support group that cares for you, start a new venture, anything that gives you happiness!
- Hug and love yourself- Mark some one-on-one time for yourself. Set a date and day when you will go out and do things you always wanted to do. Spending some me time, doing things that you enjoy is a great way to recharge your batteries.
Investing in your relationship with yourself is just as important as investing in the relationships you have with others—you’ll be able to come back to those relationships happier and recharged.Make loving yourself a year-round commitment, not just an effort you make only on special occasions. You’ll find yourself happier, healthier, and more fulfilled the whole year through.